Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Analyzing My Own Assumptions

This blog post includes my analysis on my own values and beliefs with respect to the culture of my chosen article, "A Fracking Good Story." I will respond to specific questions regarding my assumptions on the topic I have chosen.

NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. "Satellite View of the Americas on Earth Day"
4/22/2014 via Flickr. Attribution License
1. What cultural or social values, beliefs, etc., do you share with the society or culture in which the text was written? Why have they endured?

I support all of the values that the text relies on in its argument. I support the push to produce energy in the most environmentally friendly way possible because of my awareness of the existence of climate change, which is cited throughout the text, and my corresponding moral responsibility to do what is best for the future generations. I also agree that the institutions responsible for making these large scale decisions on energy production ought to do what is in the best interest of the United States, financially, because I am personally affected by the economic stability of my country.


2. What cultural or social values, beliefs, etc., do you not share? Why not?

I don't disagree with any of the major values or beliefs that are portrayed in this text. The article is meant to appeal to someone with the best interest of the environment and financial stability of the United States in mind, which applies to me and pretty much any US citizen, so there is a reason that my values correlate with the text's.


3/4. If the text is written in a culture distant or different from your own, what social values, beliefs, etc., connect to or reflect our own culture? What social values, beliefs, etc., can we not see in our own culture? If the text is written in our culture but in a different historical time, how have the social values, beliefs, etc., developed or changed over time?

The text is written in the same culture as my own, as I am an American citizen in a time period only three years in the future where climate change and fracking are still prevalent issues. No further major development have been made in the fracking controversy that change the significance of the article, therefore the values and beliefs are consistent.



Reflection: I read Ayra and Kyle's posts for this reflection and they both answered in similarly concise  explanations and this may be because their articles focus on the same controversy: animal testing. I think my analysis was a little more thorough in explaining my answers, however my article is different than theirs so there may have been more to discuss. Either way, this reflection assured me that I have thoroughly picked apart the values of myself and their relation to the text's.

No comments:

Post a Comment